Do You Need Renter’s Insurance in College?

College Students and Renters Insurance Woodbourne NYMany back-to-school students are left wondering if renter’s insurance is necessary for them and their dorms.

If you total up the number of items in your college dorm room it will more than likely add up to a couple of thousand dollars. From those all important textbooks, a laptop, iPad, smartphone, clothing, jewelry, electrical appliances, to the rest, what you take to your dorm can be more expensive than you thought.

If something were to happen to your possessions, such as theft, fire, or water damage, you would quickly learn how much you use those belongings. Luckily, with The Misner Agency, we can provide Renter’s Insurance that would protect your personal property in the event of a disaster. 

What is Covered in Renter’s Insurance?
This type of insurance protects your personal contents within your building. That way, if your roommate leaves her hot hair straighteners burning, or a neighbor’s toilet overflows, you will not have to live without your electronics, clothes, and textbooks for very long.

If you are unable to live in the dormitory for an extended period of time while it is repaired, renter’s insurance can cover the financial expenses that you would face in living in temporary housing.

What is Your Contents’ Value?
There are two ways in which you can be reimbursed for losses:

  • Actual Cash Value: Reimburses you for the item’s market price minus depreciation.
  • Replacement Cost: This is coverage that covers what it would cost to replace the lost item as new.

In order to receive quality renter’s insurance, be sure to contact us at The Misner Agency. As we serve Bloomingburg, Livingston Manor, Westtown, and Woodbourne in the New York area, we are dedicated to finding each student the right renter’s insurance for them! Give us a call today!



Our offices will close at 3 p.m. Wednesday, November 22, and will be closed Thursday and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday.